2019 opportunity to acquire RIG
Rapid Intellect Group Inc (RIG), 20 years old family-owned academic
publisher - financially self sufficient - is known for two print publications:
Academic Exchange Quarterly (AEQ) and Sound Instruction Books (SIB),
plus a number of open-access venues (OA) and recently WAAE-W.
Content is the difference between AEQ and SIB. Each issue of AEQ
covers a range of topics while each SIB volume includes a specific topic.
AEQ - regular quarterly publication - has published 84 print issues:
2700+ articles by 3600+ authors from 1160+ colleges and
universities located in the USA and 50+ countries.
OA - Editors' Choice, HOW-TO-ESSAY , Zeitgeist Essay - usually makes
selected full-text articles free to all, authors and readers.
SIB - irregular publication - has published 14 print volumes: 280+ articles
by 340+ authors in the USA and abroad.
WAAE-W - Writing American Academic English Workbook - 8 chapters,
48 units, 600+pages
As a whole RIG with 4000+ published articles and twice the number of
rejections (1997-2019) offers unique data source for research.
Additional AEQ and RIG details are often available in 80+ Guest Editorials.
Thorough explanation of AEQ-RIG workings is in the 10th Anniversary
Editorial One Decade of Past Accomplishments; A Second Decade of Challenges
Today, in 2019, instead review of 2nd decade activities, 2008-2018, I offer
this Fall 2019 brief RIG overview and give opportunity to acquire RIG.
Because at 70+ years old, it is time to step down as publisher and owner.
For an interested party to acquire RIG, there are THREE OPTIONS:
1st OPTION without any upfront cost
The following (1-2) is required, (3-4) recommended to know and utilize
- to be managed by different academic departments and faculty
in service to the university.
(1) This acquisition is open to college or university
(2) Transition period: 3-5 years full-time employment
followed by 2-4 years part-time work
(3) RIG typical, quarterly recurring tasks are more/less similar for
AEQ, SIB and open access outlets. Tasks completed when
needed (daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly) can be staffed by faculty
and students (at faculty discretion). Here are 17 examples:
1. promote (1-2 years in advance) upcoming topics
2. process received submission
3. provide double-blind-peer-review
4. offer limited assistance with content editing
5. offer limited assistance with copy editing
6. offer ESL assistance to some international authors
7. decide to publish or reject revised submission
8. schedule for publication in print edition and/or open access
9. prepare camera-ready-copy for printing
10. assure timely printing and mailing to subscribers
11. prepare HTML copy for webpage
12. assure timely uploading to RIG open access webpages
13. maintain proper workings of RIG platform, webpages
14. keep track of RIG finances: income (e.g. sale of print edition)
and expense (e.g. cost of printing)
15. coordinate contacts between authors, readers and AEQ
16. manage the entire process
17. complete production of WAAE-W, end of 2023
This last task differs somewhat from the one listed.
WAAE-W may be excluded from acquisition depending on
potential new owner interest or qualification to handle:
- editing workbook intermediate level
- produce workbook elementary level
- plan to produce workbook advanced level
- research involving: text data mining, text mining, text analytics
(4) Acquisition of RIG offers:
- faculty options to engage in service to the university and
a chance for growth in the field of specialty
- students opportunities to participate in practicum
and/or internship projects under faculty supervision
- university a competitive advantage in higher education.
2nd OPTION at no cost at all - instead
Promote and publicize RIG-BEEM-W with
your family members, friends, colleagues, and Social Media:
Facebook, Google, Instagram, suitable listserves, Twitter.
Each subscriber generated by you gets additional $10 off
of subscription cost, and you receive one point for each subscription
toward acquisition….. Total number of required points varies
depending on choice of acquisition.
The first review is at the end of February 2020. However,
ownership of AEQ or SIB may be obtained, ahead of said
review, as soon as required number of points are attained or
any other option has materialized.
BTW abovementioned “promote and publicize” may also serve you
as indicator of your ability to promote acquired RIG. Because
“promote and publicize” never stops with RIG - unique small
independent publisher - outside oligopoly of academic publishers
such as Reed-Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Springer, and Taylor & Francis.
To learn more about OLIGOPOLY read: Larivière V, Haustein S, Mongeon P (2015)
The Oligopoly of Academic Publishers in the Digital Era. PLoS ONE 10(6): e0127502.
3rd OPTION pay market value based on five factors
1- financial formulas
2- geographical coverage of print and OA publications
3- growth potential
4- potential academic value to a would-be acquirer
5- trademarks and other intellectual properties